“The Greatest Film Scores of Dimitri Tiomkin” was officially released today on the LSO Live label in the United States, two weeks after the highly successful launch in the UK. Harmonia Mundi is the U.S. distributor.
For the first release in a new series from LSO Live focusing on classic film music, LSO Live presents a selection of the greatest scores by Dimitri Tiomkin.
This is the largest collection of Tiomkin’s music performed in concert available on CD. The recording took place last October at the Barbican with the London Symphony Orchestra and London Voices conducted by Richard Kaufman and includes vocals by Whitney Claire Kaufman and Andrew Playfoot.
PURCHASE CD (from Amazon.com): Tiomkin: The Greatest Film Scores
DOWNLOAD (from Amazon.com): Dimitri Tiomkin – The Greatest Film Scores
DOWNLOAD (from iTunes): Dimitri Tiomkin: The Greatest Film Scores
- “Classical CDs Weekly: Gál, Schumann, Shostakovich, Tiomkin: A pair of Germanic symphonies, a fascinating operatic fragment and one of Hollywood’s finest,” by Graham Rickson, The Arts Desk (www.theartsdesk.com), September 1
- “Tiomkin: Excerpts from the Greatest Film Scores,” by Robert Matthew-Walker, International Record Review (UK), September issue
- “Dimitri Tiomkin – Portrait,” by Paul Stevelmans, Score 169, August 29
- “The Greatest Film Scores of DIMITRI TIOMKIN,” by John Sunier, Audiophile Audition, August 20
- “LSO Live Launches Film Score Series with Music of Dmitri Tiomkin,” by Rad Bennett, SoundStage!, August issue
- “Tiomkin: The Greatest Film Scores – review, ” by Tim Ashley, guardian.co.uk, August 9
- “The Greatest Film Scores of Dimitri Tiomkin,” by James Southall, Movie Wave, August 3
- “Review: The Greatest Film Scores of Dimitri Tiomkin,” by maestrosteve, Cinemusical, July 3
Cyrano de Bergerac – Overture
The Alamo – Suite
The Old Man and the Sea – Theme, Cubana and Finale
The Four Poster – Overture
Giant – Suite
The Fall of the Roman Empire – The Fall of Love
High Noon – Do Not Forsake Me
Rawhide – Theme
The High and the Mighty – Suite
Hitchcock Suite – Dial ‘M’ for Murder & Strangers on a Train
Wild is the Wind – Theme
The Sundowners – Theme
Circus World – The John ‘Duke’ Wayne March
Land of the Pharaohs – Theme and Pharaoh’s Procession
Friendly Persuasion – The Fair, Thee I Love
WATCH (follow the link from here): LSO Hangout with conductor Richard Kaufman
As with other LSO Live releases, the Tiomkin disc will be available on high-resolution Super Audio CD (SACD) as well as by download. SACDs can be played on any CD player; however, with suitable hardware listeners can enjoy high-resolution versions of the recordings in surround.
The Direct Stream Digital (DSD) recording was produced by James Mallinson, with balance engineer Neil Hutchinson for Classic Sound Ltd. The Super Audio CD is catalog number LSO0720.